1. Coconut oil- I have used coconut oil in my hair for years now. Not only does it bring major hydration to hair, but it also helps stimulate hair growth by getting deep into the pores of the scalp. My hair tends to break pretty easily too so coconut oil is great for repairing breakage and split ends. How to use: At least once a month (or week if you want to see major results) heat up 2 big tbsp (or more depending on how thick your hair is) of coconut oil in the microwave. Spread evenly throughout your hair and cover with a shower cap. I like to sleep in it over night, but you could also just keep it in for a couple hours. You will immediately feel your hair being softer and shinier :) I use the Kirkland brand from Cotsco because it comes in a big tub so you get your moneys worth! Find it here.
2. Prenatals/Biotin- Since being pregnant I have been taking prenatals everyday, and boy, have I seen a difference in my hair growth!! Prenatals have so many vitamins that are so good for your body regardless if your pregnant or not, so I totally suggest taking them everyday! In college I took Biotin and it worked great for me too. You can get the chewy gummies or regular tablets you swallow. Get at least 2.5 mg (2,500 mcg).
3. Hold it on the hot tools- My hair was in the worst condition in high school because I would straighten or curl it everyday. The heat from hot tools literally fries your hair which results in breakage :( Try transitioning a couple days a week with styling your hair in a pony, bun or braids to give your hair a break. Braid your hair when its half dry and sleep in it. Take out in the morning and you will have cute crimped curls that took no heat to make!
4. Use Heat Protectants- I use a heat protectant every time I use a heating tool. Heat protectants help retain moisture in the hair because the cyclomethicone and dimethicone silicone coats and conditions the strand which protects it from the intense heat. My favorite heat protectant is from Paul Mitchell- Hot off the press, it is amaaaaazing. I just spray it in my dry hair before I curl or straighten it. Another great one for when your hair is wet and before blow drying is Paul Mitchell- Mirrorsmooth high gloss primer.
5. Braid at night- One of my roommates in college had the prettiest and longest hair. I always asked her what she did and she would just say it grows! Lol. Don't you love when you ask people their secrets and they just point out the obvious ;) So then I noticed that she would braid her hair every night before she went to bed. I think this was actually her secret because when we sleep, we are rolling all over the place, tugging and pulling the hair. I used to put mine in a bun every night and would get the major breakage in the back and front pieces. I started braiding it at night or putting it in a low pony and I started seeing less breakage in the back and front pieces.
6. Let it air dry- I used to blow dry my hair EVERY morning. Talk about major heat damage. Now I hardly ever use a blow dryer and just let it air dry. I hate air drying when I go to bed because my pillow gets all wet so I use a hair towel, and it is the best! You can find it here.
7. Leave in Conditioner- My all time favorite product that I use EVERYDAY is the Biolage Keratindose Renewal Spray. I have noticed a huge difference in the shine, softness and breakage amount with my hair. This stuff is literally amazing and I swear by it. I spray it in my hair in the morning and night for extra conditioning :)
8. Use a Wet Brush- I just recently started using a wet brush because my hair is sooo tangly after I wash it. I usually just let it air dry for a little bit after I wash it because brushing it while its wet is a nightmare. I have heard tons of people swear by this brush so I finally gave in and got one. And boy I am soooo glad I did. I used it for the first time this week and it literally shaves off 75% of the time it usually takes me to brush. And the best part, I barely have any hair come out! I had my whole head brushed in literally 2 minutes. I use this one
Tips & Secrets
Here we share our favorite products and beauty secrets! We post different sales, tutorials, and tricks that we have learned and found.