Coconuts are one of the most useful fruits in the world. Not only are they great for drinking and eating, but they also have a number of uses that you probably didn't even know about! We first discovered this when we bought a huge jar of coconut oil from Costco. We got on a healthy binge and decided that we were going to substitute it for butter. But of course, our husbands got mad that we got the biggest jars imaginable so we had to prove to them we were going to use it all. We started experimenting and using coconut oil for different things and what we found is amazing! Here we are going to share with you our top 15 favorite uses for coconut oil.
top 15 favorite uses for coconut oil
1. Make-up remover- Dab a bit of coconut oil on eyes, rub and wipe off with a cotton ball. You don't need a lot, just a pearl size; in the words of Jessica Simpson, a little bit goes a long way! The oil is so nourishing to eye lashes and really gets that tough mascara and eyeliner off.
2. Hair mask- We do coconut hair masks at least once a month. Take 2 tbsp of oil, microwave for 15-30 seconds, spread evenly throughout your hair. Wrap with plastic wrap or shower cap and sleep in it. If you're in a rush, keep it in for 1-3 hours. (You'll get the most nourishment over night)
3. Use instead of shaving cream- You will thank us for this!! We have saved tons on shaving creams, lotions etc.
4. Lotion- Using it as lotion. It soaks in and soothes your skin. And you smell like yummy coconut all day. Best to apply after a hot shower, pores will soak it right up and leave you silky smooth!
5. Stretch marks!!- This is one of our favorites. Ashlyn has struggled with stretch marks since she was 14. She has tried every product under the sun to get rid of them. Since using coconut oil, she has noticed the lines and redness have reduced. (Helps prevent marks also, so mamas, rub that oil on your belly!)
6. Substitute for butter on popcorn- This is our favorite healthy treat. It is so so yummy! Pop your popcorn, pour some coconut oil and salt on, and boom. It's amazing!
7. Healthier nails- Dab oil on your nails and cuticles to strengthen and grow faster.
8. Eye cream-Dab a pearl size of oil under the delicate skin of your eyes. Oil will help with aging and wrinkles because it nourishes your skin cells.
9. Cracked Heels- Soak in a bath for 5 minutes, dry and then rub coconut oil on the soles and heels of your feet. Instantly feet are nourished and soft. If you want them as soft as a babies bottom, do this 2-3 times a week. Trust us, it works wonders!!
10. Sunscreen- Natural SPF 8. We like to rub it on the delicate areas like eyelids and lips where you don't want sunscreen to irritate.
11. Tanning Oil- The shiny oil reflects the sun and gets you nice and brown :)
12. Helps reduce those tiny red bumps on the back/front of arms and legs.
13. Homemade Face Scrub- Use brown sugar as an exfoliant and mix it with coconut oil as a base. Also a great base for lip sugar scrub. Yum :)
14. Lip Balm- We buy the containers from walmart or the dollar store. Fill it with coconut oil and use as lip balm. It tastes really good!
15. Substitute for Neosporin- Rub on burns, sores or cold sores for a more soothing and faster healing.
Hope you enjoyed these tips! If you have any others you've found, we'd love to hear them!
Tips & Secrets
Here we share our favorite products and beauty secrets! We post different sales, tutorials, and tricks that we have learned and found.